Sell with Confidence
Read More

During Tenancy

General Maintenance

If something is broken or damaged, you should not try to make repairs yourself. You must advise Ray White West End about it as soon as possible and we will organise the appropriate tradesperson to attend.

All maintenance must be submitted in writing via email to or you can submit a Maintenance Request Form.

Once a maintenance request is received we are required to get approval from the landlord before proceeding with the repair. Ray White West End will contact the landlord for approval and when authorised, organise for the appropriate tradesman to contact you directly for access.

It is important that you answer or respond to the tradesman when contacted. If you are unable to be home at the time, you may authorise the tradesman to collect keys from our office.

It should be noted that standard turnaround times for maintenance is 10 business days for non-urgent work. Further delays will occur should you not respond to the tradesman or deny access for any reason. Ray White West End tradesman only work during normal business hours and are not authorised to incur extra cost for after hours callouts, unless the work is classed as an emergency.

With regards to maintenance and repairs the RTA principally split the responsibility between landlord and tenant as follows:

  • Maintenance, general wear & tear – landlord’s responsibility
  • Damage/user error – tenant’s responsibility

For example: If you or one of your guests caused the breakage or damage, you may be required to pay for the repairs. If the issue is a result of tenant neglect, user error or damage, you may be required to pay for the repairs.

If you delay in reporting a maintenance issue and further damage or cost is sustained, you may be required to pay the extra cost.

NOTE: You cannot stop paying the rent as a way to get the repairs attended to.

Emergency Maintenance

If you experience an emergency maintenance issue and cannot contact Ray White West End and text message the emergency mobile number provided on the message bank to organise an emergency call out.

The following situations are considered emergencies:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken lavatory service
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm, fire or impact damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the property
  • a failure or breakdown of an essential service or hot water, cooking or heating appliance
  • a fault or damage that makes the property unsafe or insecure
  • a fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a resident of the property
  • a serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area or premises that unduly inconveniences a resident in gaining access to, or using, the property

If there’s an emergency and Ray White West End or our nominated repairer cannot be contacted, you can arrange for a suitably qualified person to carry out the repairs to a maximum value of two weeks rent. You can pay the repairer yourself and have Ray White West End reimburse you or request the repairer bill Ray White West End directly.

If you arrange for emergency repairs, you must provide Ray White West End with a copy of the invoice or receipt, plus a short letter stating what happened.

NOTE: You cannot stop paying the rent as a way to get the repairs attended to.

Maintenance: Smoke Alarms

Under the Fire and Rescue Service Act 1990, both tenants and lessors have responsibilities for smoke alarms in their rental properties.

Tenants have an obligation for cleaning, testing and replacing batteries for smoke alarms.

Landlords have the obligation for installing, cleaning and testing smoke alarms and replacing batteries before the start or renewal of a tenancy.

If you believe your Smoke Alarm is faulty report the issue to Ray White West End immediately.

Smoke Alarms Australia & Smoke Alarms Solutions are contracted by our office to ensure smoke alarms are correctly installed and to provide Certificates of Compliance.

Failure by a tenant to provide access to the Smoke Alarms Contractor, when an Entry Notice has been issued, is a breach under the legislation and lease and will result in the tenant being fully responsible for the failed compliance of the property, along with any fines resulting from the failure to provide access.

Maintenance: Hot Water System

If your supply of hot water is not hot or does not seem to last as long as it should, your hot water system may need topping up. Firstly check for visible signs of leaking. If a leak is visible report the issue immediate.

To top up your hot water system locate the filler valve on the side of the hot water system and lift the floppy lever until water flows from the overflow. Repeat this process every few months. Otherwise, check…is the power switched on, has the safety switch or circuit breaker been tripped or a fuse blown? Remember in winter, efficiency of the tank is less than in summer and the water will cool more quickly.

Note: Please follow the above procedure before requesting maintenance. Remember a leaking hot water tap will cause poor supply of hot water and high electricity accounts.

Maintenance: Loss of Power

If your neighbours have also lost power please contact ENERGEX directly on 13 62 62 as the fault may be a network issue.

If your neighbours have power or if you have only lost power to one circuit, i.e only power points & your lights work, first check if your Safety Switch or circuit breaker has tripped. If so, reset the switch. If it trips again unplug all appliances from the power points, including your fridge & dishwasher. Reset the Safety Switch and plug in appliances one at a time until the faulty appliance is located. If you have a fuse box check this for a blown fuse.

Note: If this does not rectify the problem please notify our office.

Tenants will be required to pay for callouts where a faulty appliance belonging to them has caused the problem.

Maintenance: Pool Problems

Water level is a priority when keeping a healthy pool. The water level must be kept at a level to allow water to flow through the skimmer boxes at all times. Failure to do this could result in equipment failure.

  • No metal objects are to be allowed in the pool as it could cause corrosion marks.
  • No animals should be allowed in the pool as this creates a huge chemical imbalance.
  • Ensure regular water testing for correct PH level to prevent mould/fungus forming in the pool.
  • Vacuum at least once a week to keep pool clear of debris.
  • Regular checks of the pump to ensure the motor is working correctly and efficiently (making funny noises could be a forerunner to a problem). Leaking or pooling water at the pump could mean a cracked casing and will need attention.
  • It is recommended that you engage a Professional Pool Service company to check and maintain your pool for you on a regular basis. This will ensure you pool is kept healthy and blue – ready to enjoy.

Note: Even if a pool is maintained for you, it is your responsibility to alert us if any problems arise.

Routine inspections

It is our policy to inspect every property managed two to three times per year and report to the landlord, on the manner in which the property is being maintained.

It should be noted that this inspection is completed for the sole purpose of the property’s suitability for rental, and to report visible maintenance /repair issues and is not a Building or Pest Inspection Report.

Routine Inspections are carried out on a regular basis. Entry Notices will be issued in accordance with the RTA requirement. The tenants are welcome to be home for these inspections but if you are unable to do so we will use our set of keys to gain access. Photos are taken of the property, to record the ongoing state of the property and record any maintenance reported.

Rental Payments

Rent must be paid on time and in accordance with the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Ray White West End has a very strict arrears policy. Late payment of rent is not tolerated.

If you miss a rental payment or have any rent related issues, please contact your Property Manager immediately.

If your rent is 7 days overdue you will be served a Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11). You will have 7 days to pay the outstanding rent and bring your rent back up to date. If you fail to do so you may be issued a Notice to Leave.

We encourage you to discuss any rent related issues with your Property Manager.

Payment options

The following rent payment methods are available:

B-Pay Biller Code: 4481 Reference Number: DEFT Card Number
Direct Debit via DEFT

Credit Card Payment via DEFT
Cheque (Send to: PO Box 5409, WEST END 4101)
Money Order (Send to: PO Box 5409, WEST END 4101)
In person at our office (5/156 Boundary Street, West End, Qld 4101)

Please note that all Credit Card transactions incur a 1.5% transaction fee and all Direct Debits incur a $1.00 transaction fee.

Water & Utilities

A tenant is responsible for the cost of all services connected to their property including electricity, gas, telephone, internet, pay TV and under the curtain circumstances water consumption.

Under the RTA a landlord is allowed to pass on the full water consumption charges (including bulk water charges) provided all the minimum criteria has been met. It should be noted that a tenant can not be charged for Fixed Access or Sewerage Usage Charges

The minimum criteria for water charging is:

  • A property must be individually metered for water
  • A property must be water efficient
  • The tenancy agreement must state that the tenant must pay for water consumption

A water efficient property has certain water efficient fixtures including water efficient taps, shower heads and toilets. A plumber will also provide a certificate confirming the property is water efficient.

As the Local Water & Sewerage Authority invoice includes a fixed access and sewerage component, these accounts cannot be placed in the tenant’s name.

If your property meets the criteria of being water efficient and individually metered you will receive an invoice from our office on a quarterly basis confirming your water used, the cost associated and will be provided 30 days for payment of the account.

Excess water

If your property is individually metered but not water efficient, you may be charged excess water consumption – being usage over 40KL per quarter.